Re: Windoze 95 is not multi-tasking, it just pretends it is multitasking.

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, C.J.LAWSON wrote:
> Well for what it is worth my own opinion is that 95 just like its forbears
> is an app. loaded on dos
No. A program becomes an operating system when it installs it's
own interrupt servicing routies. Win95 does this, and though it kicks back
to DOS's interrupt handlers for some things, it does this via calls from
it's own handlers. DOS is merely used as a boot loader, and windows seems
to forget to unload it.

> and for this reason I think we should be talking about whether or not dos is
> a true multi-tasking OS ... It certainly is capable of becoming one.
There is nothing to talk about. DOS is not a multitasking OS, and it
cannot become on without a major rewrite, (such as win95, which is a
poorly implemented, but nevertheless true multitasking OS) at which point,
we can't really call it DOS.

> The question is, has it been implemented?
Yes, they rewrote DOS and called it windows. it multitasks, but it isn't
DOS. (It does use DOS as a boot loader)

7~he 7~hought /|ssassin