Re: HELP!!!

Joost Kooij wrote:

> My advice: run for the shop and get another board. Another brand and
> model. I don't know how you value your time, but I would certainly shell
> out some money if it would save me a week of hassle.

I value my time highly....it its one thing strugling getting something to work
when I learn something out
of it...but unles I really feel like getting some chipset documentation,
grabbing my occiloscope and soldering iron....then really all there
is to be learned is "Stop buying cheap hardware"
I vowed before to stop...and I thought this was a good board
sometimes in the shop its hard to tell the difference between
the cheap crap and the good stuff.

> I have had some hassle with linux now and then, but the time that I put in
> solving problems I have always found well-invested. I've always come out
> better and knowing more.

Which is why I don't care if they can get a WIn95 machine to boot with this MBI
want Linux :) I took the plunge and I am not going back

> With hardware, I find that problems are almost always intensely
> frustrating. The only thing I've ever learnt from hardware problems is
> that you're best choice is to look at it for no more than an hour and
> bring it back to the shop.

I agree...unfortnatly this shop has annoying hoursI work until 5 pm and they
close at 6 pm (2 pm on saturdays)
and it takes me nearly half an hour to get there from work

> Don't feel embarassed towards the shop personnel or yourself. If the shop
> only sells motherboards of the cheaper sorts, go to
> another shop to buy the replacement.

They are an ok shop...they even admit "We don't know anythingabout linux"...it
was all I could do to keep from laughing when I told them
I formatted the drive and installed linux on a pentium 100 and it
should boot ...and they tried to explain why I need to install it on the
PC it is going to run on (using Win95 user "logic" )

> Hardware problems are my only reason for not buying stuff from mailorder
> companies, although they're usually much cheaper and often carry known
> good brands. On more than half the computers that I've bought (I regularly
> buy computers for friends and relatives) I had to go back to the shop to
> get a replacement or an upgrade.

I agree...I have had mixed luck with many things....I have a few mailorder places
that I have dealt with befoe and like...
I really like the auctions at Onsale.com ...got some nice things
there cheap...and they seem to work well (1.5 kVA UPS :) )
One little tip I learned:
AVOID COMPUTER "SHOWS" LIK ETHE PLAGUE
I went ot one and bought a Motherboard with processor for $150
turns out the processor was bad internal cache...when I called
the company all I ever got was an answering machine and they NEVER
called back

> I don't expect any software to run stable on rotten hardware. Because I
> buy equipment for other people, I want the hardware to work 100% because
> I don't give support on Windows (people tend to take it as an excuse to
> not try to figure things out themselves anymore - besides, having to give
> windows support is a form of mental abuse anyway.)

HA! I agree...but m job here at work is giving Windows support(and Mac support,
and the ocasional VT100 and its terminal server,
and some level of mainfraim applications....I swear...I use too many
systems....)
I notice that we don't support the SUN station sthat some of the users
have...then again...I havn't yet heard of one going down....

> Good luck,

Thanx but...I just have NO LUCK with hardware...The only system I ever bought
that worked reliably was a Pentium 100
from Packard Hell..impossible to upgrade...hell to work on...
but it ran relaiably...go figure
-Steve

--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT 4
and Linux =-