Re: why debian?

Chris de Weth wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was just wondering if anyone can tell me why so much people use Red
> Hat linux?
As a newbie to this arena, my impression is that RedHat has a better
public profile.

As we all know, public profiles & reality often differ...

> I'm thinking of going to use Linux at work, so security is quite
> important. From a friend I just got this list address, and I don't know
> where to ask this question to Red Hat users. Maybe someone can tell me
> what distribution is better?
>From my own experience (a portable using a PCMCIA network adapter),

RedHat is easier to install initially (it's only 2 floppies as opposed
to Debians 6+), however the updating system in debian (dselect) is _far_
superior..

--
Ian Stuart
Medicine & Veterinary Medicine Computing Support