Re: Where did my init.d/boot go?

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Mirek Kwasniak wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 11:42:50PM -0500, vandeveb@letu.edu wrote:
> > Since hamm was frozen, I started the process of updating my bo system.
> > I've been running hamm now for a week or so, and using FTP to update all
> > of my out-of-date packages. Last night I installed some of the new
> > packages, ( of which the only important one I remember was sysvinit ), and
> > when I rebooted my system, I was no longer able to open a tty, and thus
> > even though I logged in, and Linux validated my password, it was unable to
> > give me a shell.
> >
> > After examining the boot messages, and seeing a line that said 'unable to
> > find /etc/init.d/boot', I booted up from a beautiful little slackware
> > rescue disk, and saw that my boot was now boot.OLD.
> >
> > How do I find out what package did this?
> >
> > I assume that whatever package moved my boot to boot.OLD, was intending to
> > write a new file. Do I need this new boot file?  My system seems to be
> > running fine w/ my old boot.
> >

> Your install is broken by buggy grep 2.1-6.
> I got the same result but I upgrade a copy of my system :)
> Get grep 2.1-7 and maybe reinstall all packages by hand (whith: dpkg -i).

No, these are two different problems. grep_2.1-6 is severely broken and
should be replaced by a newer version. The boot.OLD file is not a bug or
an error, it is intended behaviour. The /etc/init.d/boot script has bee
split up into several scripts. Take a look in /etc/rcS.d/ to see what it
run in which order ar boot time.

If your sysvinit is really broken, you can boot Linux directly into bash.
At the LILO boot prompt, type

linux init=/bin/bash

This will load bash instead of init, so you get a root shell with no
questions asked.

Remco