Re: giflib2

> > kde-beta3. When I try to install the kdelibs it breakes with the message
> > that it need giflib2. Where I can get it?

> Namely that the package you're asking for doesn't exist.  HOWEVER, there
> is a libgif2 and that is what you want.  Assuming of course that you're
> willing to hack apart the .deb file, edit the dependancy, and put it back
> together again.  I do not advise forcing the package.

There is a much more straight forward solution:
Get the sources and compile them yourself (support, libs, base (the
rest in any order)). This requires a pretty fat developers installation of
Debian, but it definitely pays off since dependecy problems are virtually
blown away. (they come back in a more digestible format when trying to start
KDE for the first time...)
This also has the benefit (?) of getting the installation into the
/usr/local/ tree (same as QT) instead of the RedHatian /opt/ tree.

/klasa