Re: What is a block device name?

"Beth Lewis" wrote:
  >Hi everyone,
  >
  >I've been lurking on this list for ages and you seem a very friendly
  >bunch <grin>, so I hope someone can help me with what is obviously
  >a very newbie question.
  >I am loading Debian 1.3.1 for the first time, and I get:
  >
  >"Insert the CD_ROM and enter the block device name []:
  > Can
  >someone tell me what it wants to know?   What did I do wrong?

I don't know that you did anything wrong...

The block device is a filesystem pointer to the device driver that will
operate the CD drive.  It will look like /dev/...

Precisely what it is, depends on what kind of CD drive you have.

If you have an IDE CD drive, it will be one of these:

1st interface, master (unlikely):   /dev/hda
1st interface, slave:               /dev/hdb
2nd interface, master:              /dev/hdc
2nd interface, slave:               /dev/hdd

If you have a SCSI CD drive:        /dev/sr0

If you have a CD drive connected to a sound card, ask again with more
details.

One last point: your clock is wrong.  Your message said it was sent at 15:01
one hour ahead of GMT; that should be 11 hours ahead.  You appear to be
running in the wrong timezone.  Use tzconfig to correct this.

--

               ========= A message for Easter =========
God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that