Upgraded bash now can`t log in-/dev/tty1: Bad file descriptor

G`day all

I upgraded bash to 2.0.1-1 and it did not install properly.
Unfortunately my computer went off because of a power failure.  Now I
can`t login.  I have booted using the rescue disk and changed
/etc/passwd to ash.  When I reboot I can`t login.  After the password I
get a
unable to change tty /dev/tty1:  Bad file descriptor

Anyone know how I can get around this?  If I press ctrl-alt-del I get a
maintenance prompt and it asks for the root password.  I get in but I
can`t do anything says no job control processes.  I desperately need to
get my machine back running.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
--
Bruce Jackson

Linux:  because reboots are for hardware upgrades!!