Help with a PS/2 mouse and X11

I installed off of the 1.3.1 CD's, and haven't been able to get my mouse to
work with anything yet.  (What program's could I test with besides X11?)
The mouse is a PS/2 style Logitech Mouseman 3 button mouse.

I went into XF86Config and tried the following settings:
mouse protocol: mouseman (also tried microsoft)
mouse device: /dev/ttys0 (also tried /dev/mouse)
baud rate: 1200

I get no response from the mouse cursor on screen after applying these
settings.  After reading a couple of "how-to faqs", I also tried gpm -k
before running XF86Config.   I don't think this is the problem though since
it seems to be using my com1 port. (which has nothing attaching to it).

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Cam Vetter
camvet@mia.net
camvettk@uwc.edu